Kim Ryeo-wook (born June 21, 1987), better known by his stage name Ryeowook, is a South Korean singer and actor. He is a member of the South Korean boy band Super Junior and its sub-groups, Super Junior-K.R.Y. and Super Junior-M. Along with four other Super Junior members, he is one of the first Korean artists to appear on Chinese postage stamps. He made his solo debut and released first solo album ‘The Little Prince’ in 2016. He released his duet ‘Cosmic‘ with Bada on 23rd of September 2016 before he went for enlistment on 11th of October 2016.
Ryeowook was discovered through the ‘CMB Youth ChinChin Festival’ in 2004 and signed a contract with SM Entertainment soon afterwards impressing the judges with his singing talent. Trained in areas of singing, dancing, and acting, Ryeowook placed particular efforts into his vocal training and music composition.
Before Kyuhyun was added in 2006, Ryeowook was the last to join Super Junior several weeks before their official debut in 2005. Having undergone only two months of training, Ryeowook’s late addition was rumored to be a replacement of a previous SM trainee that was supposed to debut as a member of Super Junior 05, the first generation of Super Junior.
2. 2006 – 2008 = Debut with Super Junior, Suepr Junior K.R.Y and Super Junior-M:
Ryeowook officially debut as part of 12-member project group ‘Super Junior 05′ on 6 November 2005 on SBS’s music program ‘Popular Songs’, performing their first single, ‘Twins (Knock Out)‘. Their debut album ‘SuperJunior05′ (Twins) was released a month later on 5 December 2005 and debuted at #3 on the monthly MIAK K-pop album charts.
In March 2006, SM Entertainment began to recruit new members for the next Super Junior generation. However, plans changed and the company declared a halt in forming future Super Junior generations. Following the addition of thirteenth member Kyuhyun, the group dropped the suffix ‘05‘ and became officially credited as Super Junior. The re-polished group’s first CD single ‘U‘ was released on 7 June 2006, which was their most successful single until the release of ‘Sorry, Sorry‘ in March 2009. In the fall of 2007, the group released their second official album, ‘Don’t Don’, which became Super Junior’s best-selling album and Korea’s second best-selling album of the year.
In late 2006, Ryeowook, along with fellow Super Junior members Kyuhyun and Yesung, formed a subgroup called Super Junior K.R.Y., a group specializing in R&B ballads. The trio debuted on November 5, 2006 on KBS’s ‘Music Bank’ with performing Hyena soundtrack called ‘The One I Love‘. Ryeowook made his acting debut in 2007, in the film, ‘Attack on the Pin-Up Boys’, a high-school comedy/mystery film, in which he plays the eccentric vice president of the student council. He was nominated ‘Best Supporting Actor’ and ‘Best Comedic Performance’ at the Korean Movie Awards.
In April 2008, he was put into seven-member sub-group Super Junior-M, a Mandopop sub-group of Super Junior for the Chinese music industry. They debuted in China at the 8th Annual Music Chart Awards, simultaneously with the release of their first music video, ‘U‘ on 8 April 2008. This was followed by the release of the debut Chinese-language studio album, ‘Me’ in selected provinces in China on 23 April and 2 May in Taiwan.
3. 2009 – 2015 = Solo Activities and Super Junior K.R.Y:
Ryeowook’s first composition to be officially released was ‘Love U More‘, in the repackaged ‘Sorry, Sorry’ Version C. He co-wrote the lyrics with fellow Super Junior member Sungmin. Ryeowook is also credited for musical arrangement in the liner notes of the album.
Ryeowook is featured in K.Will’s 2009 song ‘Dropping the Tears‘. He is also the first member of Super Junior to sing a solo track included in their album, ‘One Fine Spring Day‘ was released in ‘Bonamana’.
Ryeowook made his musical theatre debut in ‘Temptation of Wolves’ alongside Park Hyung Sik of ZE:A and Lim Jeong Hee. It took place from 14 July to 30 October 2011 at the COEX Artium.
On 16 and 23 June, following the footsteps of band-mates Yesung and Kyuhyun, Ryeowook joined KBS’s ‘Immortal Songs 2′ with Sunggyu of Infinite, where singers render their own versions of songs from music legends and winners are selected by voting. He took first place in the 11 August episode where singers Lee Sang-woo and Lee Sang-eun were guests. He recorded his last episode on 16 August, which was broadcast on 25 August.
In November 2012, Super Junior K.R.Y. held a concert tour in Japan, Super Junior K.R.Y. Special Winter Concert. They announced that they would be releasing their first single 6 years after debut. The teaser for ‘Promise You’ was released on November 21, 2012, followed by the single on 23 January 2013. It debuted at no.2 on the Oricon’s daily singles chart.
On September 28, 2014, Ryeowook made a leave to Japan to perform in ‘The Goddess is Watching‘ in Setagaya Public Theatre in Tokyo. He performed from September 30th to October 2nd with a total of five performances. He acted as ‘Ryu Sun Ho’, a teenage North Korean soldier which suffered from PTSD and was abandoned in an uninhabited island after an unexpected storm with three other North Korean soldiers and two South Korean soldiers.
On January 8, it was revealed that Ryeowook had been cast in the musical ‘Agatha‘ as the lead role of Raymond. In 2015 Ryeowook starred in the theatrical play ‘The Curious Incident Of The Dog In The Night Time’ playing the lead role of ‘Christopher’.
4. 2016 – present = Solo Debut and Military Service:
It was reported that Ryeowook would make his solo debut in 2016.
Ryeowook debut solo album’s title was ‘The Little Prince’. The release of ‘The Little Prince’ was not only anticipated as Ryeowook’s first official solo album since his debut 11 years ago but also because it was the first release under Super Junior’s own label, Label SJ, established by SM Entertainment in 2015 during the group’s 10th anniversary. The title track bearing the same name as the album was a ballad inspired by French author Antoine de Saint-Exupéry’s novel ‘The Little Prince‘. The title track ‘The Little Prince‘ was a ballad song and a conversation between a man in pain from love and The Little Prince.
In addition to Ryeowook’s solo promotions and album release, he held his first solo concert through SMTOWN’s The Agit series called ‘Ever Lasting Star – RyeoWook‘ from February 19 until the 21st for three days at the SMTOWN’s Coex Artium in Samseong-dong, Seoul.
On 24 February 2012, Ryeowook graduated from ‘Inha’ University with a major in theater and film studies.
Ryeowook enlisted for his military service on 11 October 2016.
Relationships – Rumors:
There aren’t any dating rumors about Ryeowook.
However, in 2016 he said: “There are times when I feel lonely. Even if I did have a girlfriend, I can′t go public with it or walk around holding hands in the open. I think things that don′t seem like anything can be difficult for me.”
Quick Profile of Ryeowook:
- English Name: Nathan Kim
- Position: Main Vocalist
- Voice Type: Tenor
- Zodiac Sign: Cancer
- Chinese Zodiac Sign: Rabbit
- Height: 175 cm
- Weight: 58 kg
- Blood Type: O
- Skills: Singing, Composition, Acitng and Dancing
- Hobbies: Dancing, Singing, Playing the Piano and Shopping
- Sub-Groups: Super Junior K.R.Y, Super Junior-M
- Personality: Cute, Active, Sweet, Shy, Introvert and Sensitive
- Nickname: ‘Ryeonggoo‘, ‘Eternal maknae‘, ‘Ryeowook on Top‘, ‘Ex-Maknae‘
- Religion: Christianity
Ryeowook’s Favorite Things:
- TV Series: ‘Prison Break‘
- Character in ‘Winnie The Pooh‘: Christopher Robin
- Color: Purple
- Food: Ice Cream, Kimchi, Strawberries and Chocolate
Facts about Ryeowook:
- He likes to tell people what he eats
- When you first meet him he seems shy. But as you get to know him better, he can be very talkative
- He never carries an umbrella around with him
- 2nd most out-going member (after Kangin)
- He speaks ‘broken’ English
- He likes to speak Chinese
- He doesn’t have any brother or sisters
- He carries a bag and his phone everywhere
- He likes taking selfies
- His shoe size is 260 (korean size)
- He had his first kiss at 7
- He has 5 ear piercings
- He hardly ever wears his earrings
- He wears glasses
- He played the triangle in his elementary school’s orchestra
- Lost his shoe During a ‘Miracle‘ performance
- He never irons newly bought jeans
- After buying new jeans, he wears them for as long as possible
- He wrote Kangin and Yesung’s radio logo songs
- He has a mole on his right cheek
- It took 3 weeks for him to hold hands with his first girlfriend and 1 year for them to kiss
- Ryeowook broke Kyuhyun’s Keyboard
- He got into a fight with Kyuhyun. On the same day, Kyuhyun got into an accident
- He only gets bullied by Kyuhyun
- Once he and Kyuhyun were cooking, he ended up doing the work
- He is the ‘mother’ of the group
- Ryeowook cooks when he’s angry
- If the members of Super Junior don’t eat Ryeowook’s food then he’ll get upset
- If he was a girl, he would marry Donghae
- He has good skin
- He cried during a recording of ‘A Short Journey‘
- He would go to his hyungs’ rooms at night. When they ask why he is there he says,”I just wanna be with hyung for awhile, can I?”
- He is jealous of Henry because he is the maknae of Super Junior-M
- According to Henry, Ryeowook is warm and gentle
- He is good at doing the sound of water droplets and pigs
- Once an E.L.F requested a hug from Ryeowook, he stood up to hug her but Heechul who was beside him,stopped him
- He’s good at reading peoples’ mood
- On Donghae’s Birthday, Ryeowook prepared food
- Once Ryeowook and Donghae were eating strawberries in a room. Donghae wanted to ask Yesung to join them but Ryeowook said “It would be fine if only 2 of us eat the strawberries”. After Yesung heard it, he felt sad and thought that he wanted to kill him
- When a ball goes over to him he doesn’t know what to do
- Ryeowook runs away from balls and avoids them
- Once an MC asked why Ryeowook was so quiet. Ryeowook said that his job was to listen
- Ryeowook hates soccer
- He is a multi-tasker. Once Heechul came back from young-street. There, he saw Ryeowook eating clementines, watching ‘Home,Sweet Home’, reading comments and going on other sites with his phone
- He always talks to himself when he watches dramas
- He watched 6 dramas at the same time once (Home Sweet Home, President, Daemul, Athena, Secret Garden,It’s Okay Daddy’s Daughter)
- He searches for all different types of websites including anti-fan sites
- He said that he wanted to be more mature
- He felt sorry for his grandmother because she went through many difficult times and he was unable to help her
- He has a fear of dogs
- He has a fear of heights
- He has a slight fear of hospitals
- When he was a student, his weight was 86 kg
- He was ranked as no.4 of the members who drink the most
- He can sleep up to 18 hours a day
- He’s SNSD’s no.1 fan
- He likes free make-up samples
- We takes good care of Super Junior’s members
- He is a crybaby
- Kangin says that Ryeowook looks innocent but he’s insolent
- There was once when Ryeowook and Sungmin went to Kangin’s radio show. Everyone was chatting happily except for him. Sungmin felt it immediately and asked him “Why are you so quiet? Have you done something wrong?” He replied sadly that he thought today’s live was open to viewers so he styled his hair, dressed and makeup but unfortunately today they weren’t going to allow viewers to see him. Then everyone laughed and he almost cried
- In Super Junior’s movie, Ryeowook was only supposed to have the role of the panda
- When Leetuek got into the accident, Ryeowook took his role in their movie
- Ryeowook doesn’t like Siwon because when Siwon slings his arm with his, he feels pressure and embarassed because of their height difference
- Ryeowook had his legs waxed by Leetuek with Duct tape
- Ryeowook said that he lost weight by skipping many meals in a day
- He revealed that Shindong got double eye-lid surgery
- He thinks Eunhyuk is ugly
- He brought his parents a house
Ryeowook’s Ideal Type of Woman:
Appearance/ Character: Christian girl with wavy hair and short. A girl who can sing and looks good in jeans.