Kim Jong-hoon (born on August 24, 1984), better known by his stage name Yesung, is a South Korean singer and actor. He is a member of the South Korean boy band Super Junior and its sub-units Super Junior-K.R.Y., Super Junior-H and S.M. The Ballad. His stage name Yesung is derived from the Korean phrase “예술가의 성대” (lit. meaning: vocal cords of an artist) and can be translated as an “art-like voice”.
Yesung was born in Seoul and later moved to Cheonan, South Chungcheong when he was 10 years old. He has a younger brother, whose name is Kim Jong-jin. From a young age, Yesung expressed an interest in singing. In 1999, he joined a broadcast singing competition and won the first place at the ‘Cheonan Singing Competition‘. In 2001, Yesung’s mother, Im Bo-kyung, signed him up to audition for SM Entertainment’s ‘Starlight Casting System‘, in which he impressed the judges with his “artistic voice”, and became a trainee under SM Entertainment the same year.
1. 2005 – 2007 = Debut with Super Junior:
Yesung officially debuted as part of the 12-member project group ‘Super Junior 05′ on 6 November 2005 on SBS’s music program ‘Popular Songs’, performing their first single, ‘Twins (Knock Out)’. Their debut album ‘SuperJunior05 (Twins)‘ was released a month later on 5 December 2005 and debuted at no.3 on the monthly MIAK K-pop album charts.
In March 2006, SM Entertainment began to recruit new members for the next Super Junior generation. However, plans changed and the company declared a halt in forming future Super Junior generations. Following the addition of thirteenth member Kyuhyun, the group dropped the suffix ‘05‘ and became officially credited as ‘Super Junior‘.The re-polished group’s first CD single ‘U‘ was released on 7 June 2006, which was their most successful single until the release of ‘Sorry, Sorry‘ in March 2009. In the fall of 2007, the group released their second official album, ‘Don’t Don’, which became Super Junior’s best-selling album and Korea’s second best-selling album of the year.
From September 2006 to September 2007, Yesung was host for radio program, ‘M.I.R.A.C.L.E for You’, where members of Super Junior often appeared as guests. However, before the radio show’s first anniversary, Yesung left in order to concentrate on Super Junior’s second album, ‘Don’t Don’. The last air date for the radio show was 8 September 2007. In November 2006, Yesung, along with Super Junior members Ryeowook and Kyuhyun, formed a sub-unit, ‘Super Junior-K.R.Y.‘, a group specializing in R&B ballads. The trio debuted on November 5, 2006 on KBS’s ‘Music Bank’.
He debuted as an actor on 26 July 2007 with the release of ‘Attack on the Pin-Up Boys’, a high school comedy starring fellow Super Junior members. He played the school’s rock star who gets attacked by a mysterious force.
2. 2008 – 2013 = Super Junior-H debut, Solo Activities and K.R.Y. debut in Japan:
On 9 May 2008, Yesung was sent to the hospital after he collapsed during the ‘Marathon of Hope‘ in which he and band-mates Shindong, Sungmin, Leeteuk, Eunhyuk and Kangin participated. The event was in collaboration with the SBS charity program ‘Hope TV 24‘ and the money raised was donated to a Mongolian school in South Korea which was at risk of closing down. Due to the injury, Yesung was unable to complete the marathon, but appeared on stage on crutches with his fellow members. Also on 8 August, Yesung was sent to the hospital after falling from the stage while rehearsing at the KBS music program, ‘Music Bank’. The injury aggravated old injuries from the neck and waist and he was hospitalized for two days. In June 2008, Yesung became a member of Super Junior-H, releasing their first mini-album titled ‘Cooking? Cooking!’. He sang ‘Love Really Hurts‘ for the original soundtrack of television drama ‘Tazza’, which aired from 16 September to 25 November 2008. In 2009, Yesung made his musical theatre debut in ‘Namhansanseong’, which is based on the novel of the same name by Kim Hoon. Yesung played villain “Jung Myung-soo”, a servant-turned-interpreter who feels sad from being betrayed by his country, from 9 October to 4 November at the Seongnam Arts Center Opera House. On 6 November, he made a surprise appearance on KBS’ ‘Music Bank‘, with SHINee, by replacing Jonghyun, who was recovering from influenza.
In 2010, Yesung starred in the title role of musical ‘Hong Gil Dong’, alongside band-mate Sungmin who also played “Hong Gildong”. It took place at Woori Financial Art Hall of the Olympic Park from 18 February to 18 April 2010. On 31 March 2010, Yesung contributed to the OST of television drama ‘Cinderella’s Sister’, starring Moon Geun-young and Chun Jung-myung. The song, ‘It Has To Be You‘, is a ballad that tells the story about a man who refused to look for another girl, except for the one he loved. On 4 June, Yesung performed it for the first time on ‘Music Bank‘ which reached no.3 on show’s K-Chart.
In July 2010, Yesung appeared with band-mate Leeteuk as MCs for MBC’s ‘Love Pursuer’. The show presents a Korean celebrity being showered with affection from a secret admirer, with the challenge of guessing who the admirer is. Yesung was himself the subject of admiration in episode 10. From 1 October to 28 October 2010, also he starred in his third musical ‘Spamalot’ playing the main role of “Sir Galahad”. On 29 December 2010, Yesung together with Luna of f(x), sang the track ‘Loving You’, on part 2 of the original soundtrack of KBS drama ‘President’.
During the recording of ‘Dream Team 2′ on 21 August 2011, he fell from a platform and strained his waist again, but was reported to be a minor injury. On 4 September, he became the new MC for ‘MUZIT’, a musical talk show alongside K.Will and veteran composer Yoo Youngsuk. It showcased various musical talents from the Korean music industry.
On 31 January 2011, Yesung’s third solo song, from the OST of SBS’s drama, ‘Paradise Ranch’, was released. ‘Waiting For You’ is a ballad that tells the story of a man who is adamant on waiting until the end of the world for his lover to return to him. He performed it for the first time at Super Junior K.R.Y’s first concert in Seoul on 11 February.
From 28 February to 21 June 2011, Yesung temporarily replaced band-mate Eunhyuk as radio DJ partnering with Leeteuk on ‘Super Junior’s Kiss the Radio’, while Eunhyuk was away on promotional activities for Super Junior-M’s third extended play ‘Perfection’. In June, he joined KBS’s ‘Immortal Songs 2‘ where singers render their own versions of old songs from music legends. He lost in the first episode but won the third episode when he sang Boohwal’s song ‘The More I Love‘.
His second duet with Jang Hyejin, was released on 14 July 2011 throughout Korea’s digital charts. ‘I Am Behind You‘ is from the album ‘Cooperation Part 1′ . The song has a fantastic harmony and is mixed with the lyrics of secretly loving someone and wondering if that person could possibly be feeling the same way about them. On 18 July 2011, ‘For One Day‘ was released. It is from the historical drama ‘Warrior Baek Dong Soo’. The song explores an emotional farewell from a lover. Yesung performed this live for the first time on 6 October 2011 at Super Junior K.R.Y.’s concert in Nanjing.
On 27 September 2011, he along with Eunhyuk and Shindong filled in for band-mate Heechul, who was enlisted for mandatory military service on 1 September, during the performance, on ‘Music Bank‘ and ‘Show! Music Core’, of Kim Jang-hoon’s latest single ‘Breakups are So Like Me‘.
On 23 October 2011, Yesung performed in the New York SM Town concert at Madison Square Garden.
On 11 November 2012, Yesung and his brother Kim Jong Jin had officially opened their cafe named “Mouse Rabbit Coffee”.
In November 2012, Super Junior K.R.Y. held a concert tour in Japan, ‘Super Junior K.R.Y. Special Winter Concert‘. They announced that they would be releasing their first single 6 years after their debut. The teaser for ‘Promise You’ was released on November 21, 2012, followed by the single on 23 January 2013. It debuted at no.2 on Oricon’s daily singles chart.
On 13 February 2013, Yesung’s OST ‘Gray Paper‘ for SBS’s melodrama ‘That Winter, the Wind Blows’ was released. The track was composed by label-mate Kangta and he performed it on SBS’s music program ‘Inkigayo’ on February 17.
Yesung announced at ‘Super Show 5′ that he would enlist for his mandatory military service in 2013. He served as a public service worker after four weeks of basic training.
3. 2014 – 2015 = S.M the Ballad, Return with Super Junior and Solo Activities:
During military service in February 2014, Yesung joined the ballad group ‘S.M the Ballad‘, initially formed by SM Entertainment in 2010. On the group’s 2nd album, he had a solo song for the track ‘Blind‘, but he didn’t participate during the promotions.
Super Junior-K.R.Y. reunited with Yesung’s return from military service Super Junior-K.R.Y. Japan Tour was started in Yokohama on June 2–3 and had a total of 11 performances. In July 2015, SM Entertainment announced Super Junior-K.R.Y. would start their tour in Seoul at the Olympic Hall in Seoul on August 22 and 23. The trio released a Japanese single Japan titled ‘Join Hands‘ on 5 August 2015.
On 8 July 2015, SM Entertainment announced that Yesung would re-join Super Junior for the special album, ‘Devil’ which was released on July 16 to celebrate the group’s 10th anniversary.
In August, Yesung’s solo ‘Dreaming’ from the OST of MBC’s drama, ‘Splendid Politics‘ was released. In November, Yesung played a role in the Korean drama ‘Awl’.
4. 2016 – present = Solo Debut:
On the 12th of April 2016, SM Entertainment revealed that Yesung’s solo debut album ‘Here I Am’ would be released on April 19, 2016. Yesung made his solo debut stage on April 21. Yesung held his first solo concert titled ‘Sweet Coffee’, part of the concert series ‘The AGIT’ by S.M. Entertainment artists, in June 2016.
On November 18, 2016 It was confirmed that Yesung joined the drama called ‘Voice’, which was aired in January 2017.
On 18 April 2017, Yesung released his 2nd mini Album, ‘Spring Falling (Yesung 2nd EP)’. The title song to his 2nd mini album was a ballad song called ‘Paper Umbrella‘.
Relationships – Rumors:
There aren’t any rumors involving Yesung at the moment.
He only confirmed that in his past relationships, his girlfriends used to cheated on him a lot of times.
Quick Profile of Yesung:
- English Name: Jerome Kim
- Position: Main Vocalist
- Voice Type: Baritone
- Zodiac Sign: Virgo
- Chinese Zodiac Sign: Rat
- Height: 178 cm
- Weight: 64 kg
- Blood Type: AB
- Hobbies: Singing, Listening to music, Exercise and Playing the Piano
- Skills: Singing, Dancing and Acting
- Personality: Funny, Talkative, Weird, Crazy and Shameless
- Sub-Units: Super Junior-K.R.Y and Super Junior-Happy
- Nickname: ‘Cloud‘, ‘Artistic Vocal Cords‘ and ‘Singing Yesung‘
- Religion: Catholic
Yesung’s Favorite Things:
- Season: Autumn
- Color: Red
- Subject: Spelling
Facts about Yesung:
- Yesung had his first kiss in 11th grade
- He would like to go to Canada
- He has small fingers
- His shoe size is 260-270 (korean size)
- He has a puppy named ‘Kkoming’ and two turtles named “ddangkoma” and “morahaji”
- Yesung likes to move a lot, when he is asleep. He has a habit of waking up and going to sleep in a different bed every 20 minutes
- The meaning of his name is powerful and artistic
- He wants to start a business career when he will get retired from Super Junior
- He loves touching people’s faces
- When Super Junior is on tour, he likes to get the master key of their rooms from the manager and visit everyone’s room while they’re asleep
- He can imitate Donghae, Siwon and Kangin perfectly
- He cried in a show because he thought he had no fans
- He usually gets cut off from TV shows because he talks too much
- He likes to touch the other member’s lips when they are asleep
- He wears glasses
- He is considered as the most bizarre member of Super Junior
- Once, he couldn’t find the way to go back to the dorms and one of his fans helped him
- Yesung used to share a room with Ryeowook
- He used to change his hair color a lot when he was still a student
- As a teenager, he wanted to save money so he would be able to buy a radio. When he bought the radio, his mother threw it away and he started to cry
- When it comes to food, Yesung is the complete opposite of Eunhyuk. He eats a little but frequently
- Kyuhyun is Yesung’s victim because Yesung likes to hit him a lot
- He likes to collect expensive jewelries
- Yesung was jealous of Heechul because he was playing with his cat all the time, so he decided to buy his first turtle because he thought it would be fun nut instead he was more bored
- When he found out that turtles can live up to 80 years, Yesung was sad because he didn’t know who will look after his turtles if he dies
- Once on a show, Yesung said that he used to collect snails
- His least favorite subject at school was Maths
- When he first debuted with Super Junior, Yesung was very quiet but after a few years nobody could stop him from talking
- Yesung is closer to Ryeowook than Kyuhyun
- When the car accident happened, Yesung thought that Kyuhyun would die but when he found out that Kyuhyun was going to recover, he made a promise to never scold Kyuhyun again
- When he is bored, he likes to talk to his pets
- Yesung never drinks alcohol
- Kanging likes to make fun of Yesung
- When Yesung was a child, he liked to collect insects
- He is afraid of ghosts
- He has a birthmark on his stomach
- Yesung is jealous of Siwon’s athletic body
Yesung’s Ideal Type of Woman:
Appearance/Character: A warmhearted girl with beautiful and shining eyes. Someone like Moon Geun Young