Lee Hyuk-jae (born April 4, 1986), better known by his stage name Eunhyuk, is a South Korean singer-songwriter and actor. He is a member of the South Korean boy group Super Junior and their subgroups, Super Junior-T and Super Junior-H. In 2011, he joined Super Junior’s Mandopop subgroup, Super Junior-M and the duo Donghae & Eunhyuk; active in China and Japan respectively.
Early Life – Pre-debut:
Eunhyuk was born Lee Hyuk-jae in Goyang, South Korea. Raised in a family that struggled financially, he was interested in street performing as a child. He got inspired by H.O.T’s Jang Woo-hyuk, Michael Jackson and singer-dancer Yoo Seung-jun. Eunhyuk trained himself at a young age. In elementary school he started a dance crew, ‘SRD’, which stood for Song Rap and Dance. The group consisted of him and his childhood friends Kim Junsu, Hwang Tae Jun, and Choi Min Seok. The crew’s popularity prospered in their hometown; and when ‘SRD’ appeared in a local newspaper, it was then that Eunhyuk cemented his dream to become an idol.
In 1999, together with Junsu he auditioned for SM Entertainment through the company’s ‘Starlight’ Casting System, at the age of 13. However he failed the audition in 1999 and entered again the following year and got in as a trainee. He began training in singing, dancing, acting, and had brief Mandarin Chinese language courses. He was also scouted with an interview offer from a top modelling agency in Seoul, yet declined due to contract issues. In the midst of trainee life in 2000, he reached SM’s master dance class and won the ‘Goyang’ citywide dance competition in 2000. In 2002, Eunhyuk, Kim Junsu, and another trainee Sungmin were placed in a project R&B group. A year later, the group along with three future members from TRAX (Jay Kim, No Minwoo, Kang Jungwoo) made a brief appearance in a show called ‘Heejun vs. Kangta’, ‘Battle of the Century: Pop vs. Rock’, in which Moon Hee-joon and Kangta taught them techniques on different types of singing. In 2003 the trio disbanded when Junsu went on to debut as a member of TVXQ. Eunhyuk and Sungmin were then placed in another project group with ten other male trainees, ‘Super Junior 05′, the first generation of rotational boy band Super Junior.
1. 2005 – 2006 = Debut with Super Junior:
Eunhyuk officially debut as part of 12-member project group Super Junior 05 on 6 November 2005 on SBS’s music programme ‘Popular Songs’, performing their first single, ‘Twins (Knock Out)’. Their debut album ‘SuperJunior05′ (Twins) was released a month later on 5 December 2005 and debuted at #3 on the monthly MIAK K-pop album charts.
In March 2006, SM Entertainment began to recruit new members for the next Super Junior generation. However, plans changed and the company declared a halt in forming future Super Junior generations. Following the addition of thirteenth member Kyuhyun, the group dropped the suffix ‘05′ and became officially credited as Super Junior. The re-polished group’s first CD single ‘U‘ was released on 7 June 2006, which was their most successful single until the release of ‘Sorry, Sorry‘ in March 2009. Through their first official album, Eunhyuk helped produce as a lyricist and wrote the rap lyrics for a majority of Super Junior’s songs. The rap lyrics to ‘Show Me Your Love‘ from the winter single with TVXQ was written by him, along with Heechul and Shindong, and ‘One Love‘, which became his solo performance in Super Junior’s first concert, Super Show.
2. 2006 – 2009 = MC-ing, Sub-Units and Variety Shows:
Eunhyuk was partnered with band-mate Leeteuk as radio DJs for KBS ‘Super Junior’s Kiss The Radio’ (aka SUKIRA) starting on 21 August 2006. With the exception of four months from March to June 2011, where band-mate Yesung temporarily replaced Eunhyuk, while he was away on promotional activities for Super Junior-M’s third extended play ‘Perfection’.
Eunhyuk replaced Kangin as MC on Mnet’s music programme ‘M! Countdown‘ in late 2006. He hosted with band-mates Leeteuk and Shindong for two years and four months. In February 2007, Eunhyuk was placed in the trot-singing sub group Super Junior-T and released the single ‘Rokkugo’. A year later, he became a member of Super Junior-H.
From 2009, along with Leeteuk and Shindong, Eunhyuk was cast as a panel for ‘Star King’. In the midst of Super Junior’s growing popularity through their 3rd studio album ‘Sorry, Sorry’, Eunhyuk became a variety member of ‘Strong Heart’, where they hosted special segment, Boom Academy with comedian Boom. He became a member on KBS’ ‘Dream Team’, an athletic competition show and guested on ‘Intimate Note’, ‘Fantasy Couple’, ‘Miracle’ and ‘Introduce The Star’s Friend’. Super Junior’s prominence nationally and overseas lead them to their second concert tour, ‘Super Show II‘ and line-ups in 2009 Asia Song Festival, ‘Dream’ Concert, and premium live events in Japan, Singapore, and Thailand. It was then that ‘Sorry, Sorry‘ became critically and commercially successful hit in Asia; the first occasion in which the group won top honor at all of the local end-of-the-year music awards.
3. 2010 – 2011 = Musical Theater and Album Releases:
On 26 February 2010, Eunhyuk was diagnosed with H1N1 influenza, but was set to appear as a guest at label mate Girls’ Generation’s ‘Into the New World’ encore concert in Seoul, hence had to pull out and was replaced by band-mates Leeteuk and Heechul. Super Junior released their 4th studio album, ‘Bonamana’, with similar success in Korea, sweeping awards in music programs after the release date. Their follow-up song, ‘Boom Boom’, was choreographed by Eunhyuk and performed on music programs ‘Inkigayo‘ and ‘Music Core‘. On October 8, 2010, the digital single ‘Angel‘ for HARU OST was released, with Eunhyuk featuring a rap verse.
In 2011, Eunhyuk, along with Sungmin was placed two new members of Super Junior-M. On 27 September 2011, he along with Yesung and Shindong filled in for band-mate Heechul, who enlisted for mandatory military service on 1 September, during the performance on ‘Music Bank‘ and ‘Show! Music Core‘ of Kim Jang-hoon latest single, ‘Breakups are So Like Me‘. Heechul is featured in the song and starred in the music video, which was completed the day before he enlisted. ‘Mr. Simple’, Super Junior’s award-winning 5th studio album, was promoted heavily with Eunhyuk participating in much of the album’s production through choreography, and rap lyrics for the track, ‘Oops‘. The album sold over 500,000 units and won the Disk Daesang Award at the 26th Golden Disk Awards and 21st Seoul Music Awards, as well as Album of the year at the 13th Mnet Asian Music Awards. The album is listed as the 2nd best-selling album as of the year 2011.
In November, Eunhyuk made his musical theater debut in ‘Fame’, where he played Tyrone Jackson, along with Tiffany of Girls’ Generation, Son Ho Young, Lina of The Grace and Kim Jung Mo of TRAX. It was on at the Woori Financial Art Hall from 25 November 2011 to 29 January 2012. It was announced on 30 November 2011 that after five years, he and Leeteuk would leave ‘Super Junior’s Kiss the Radio‘ and was replaced by fellow members, Sungmin and Ryeowook on 4 December 2011.
4. 2011 – 2012 = ‘Oppa,Oppa‘ and Comeback with Super Junior:
On 16 December 2011 Eunhyuk and Donghae released digital single ‘Oppa,Oppa’ , where they first performed it at Super Junior’s ‘Super Show 4′ Seoul concert on 19 November 2011. This marks the first release of their collaborations. The single was also released in Japanese with an original Japanese music video on 4 April 2012. On the day of its release, it reached number two on Oricon Daily Chart with 42,114 copies sold. While also preparing for Super Junior’s first world tour ‘Super Show 4‘, the pair held a fan meeting, ‘Premium Mini Live Event‘, in support of the single on 11 April at Shibuya-AX, Tokyo.
Eunhyuk is MC for MBC every1’s ‘Super Junior Foresight’, along with fellow members Leeteuk, Kyuhyun, Yesung and Shindong. From 23 March 2012, he took over as MC for the last three live shows of singing-survival program ‘Great Birth 2‘, better known as ‘MBC Star Audition’, on MBC. As of the 10 April 2012 broadcast, following the change in MCs and the departure of Shindong from ‘Strong Heart‘, the show was re-vamped with Leeteuk and Eunhyuk billed as two of the ‘six-fixed guests’.
In June 2012, Eunhyuk reunited with his Super Junior band-mates for their sixth studio album, ‘Sexy, Free & Single‘ released on 4 July. On 21 June 2012, the first teaser photo of Eunhyuk was released showing him in a white shirt, blue jeans, styled with a mullet-like hairstyle and blindfolded with white and pink flowers. In October SM Entertainment and Hyundai partnered up to release the ‘Maxstep’ featuring Eunhyuk and other SM artists Super Junior-M’s Henry Lau, SHINee’s Lee Taemin, EXO-K’s Kai, EXO-M’s Luhan and Girl’s Generation’s Hyoyeon. The group became the official dance unit; ‘Younique Unit‘. The official cover of Zedd’s ‘Spectrum‘ was released via SBS Gayo Daejeon held on December 29, 2012, with Eunhyuk featuring. The single was performed by the members of SM The Performance and also included Donghae, along with TVXQ’s Yunho, Shinee’s Taemin and Minho and EXO’s Kai and Lay.
5. 2013 – 2014 = Comebacks with Super Junior-M, Concerts and Mini-Albums:
On January 7, 2013, Super Junior-M released their second album, ‘Break Down’, along with the music video for the lead single of the same name. A press conference took place in Beijing on January 7. They promoted the album in China. After returning to Korea, Eunhyuk heavily participated in variety shows, ‘Come to Play’ and ‘Barefooted Friends’. Because of conflicting schedules due to ‘Super Show 5: World Tour‘, Eunhyuk withdrew from both programs. Super Junior held 28 shows in total from March 2013 to February 2014, and toured in North America, South America, Europe and Asia.
In the midst of concerts, Eunhyuk returned to the studio for album recording. He and Donghae released ‘I Wanna Dance’ on June 19, 2013 in Japan. The single peaked at #3 on both the Gaon and Oricon charts. Still You, the follow-up single, was released on December 18, 2013. Donghae & Eunhyuk then debuted their first studio album, ‘Ride Me’, on February 26, 2014 under Avex Trax. The song became the main theme of the Japanese TV show, ‘Sukkiri‘.
Eunhyuk returned to Super Junior-M promotions via ‘Swing’. The extended play consists six songs, which were released for digital download on March 21, 2014 in China and Taiwan by S.M. Entertainment. The group released the album in Korean music sites, such as MelOn, genie, Naver music and more, on March 31, 2014, and promoted on Korean music programs.
The first Japanese tour for sub-unit Donghae & Eunhyuk, Super Junior D&E The 1st Japan Tour, kicked off in Nagoya on March 4, 2014. After touring numerous cities, he participated in a dance project with Beat Burger, entitled ‘Beat Burger Project x Eunhyuk’. In August, the project released an official video, choreographed to Yoo Young Jin’s song ‘Mo Jazzy‘.
In August 2014, it was announced that Eunhyuk and Super Junior would be making their comeback with the group’s seventh album, ‘Mamacita’ which was released online on August 29 and in stores on September 1. On the album, Eunhyuk contributed choreography to their second lead single, ‘Shirt,’ which received praises from Allkpop-“The track is one of the most energetic on the album beyond the title track.” The group made their official comeback performance on the Korean music show ‘Music Bank’ with the songs ‘Shirt’ and ‘Mamacita’ on August 29 and continued their promotions on ‘Music Core’, ‘Inkigayo’ and ‘M! Countdown‘ while preparing for their new world tour ‘Super Show 6‘ which would open on September 19 on Seoul.
6. 2015 – present = Comeback with Super Junior and its Sub-Unit:
In February 2015, Donghae & Eunhyuk first Korean album, ‘The Beat Goes On‘ was released on March 9, 2015. The album had seven tracks, including the title song, ‘Growing Pains’. On April 1, Donghae & Eunhyuk released first Japanese mini-extended play called ‘Present’, which contained a total of eight songs including the lead title ‘Saturday Night’. The duo kicked off its concert tour ‘Super Junior D&E The 2nd Japan Tour’ and ‘Super Junior D&E Asia Tour’ during April to August.
Super Junior special album, ‘Devil’ was released on 16 July 2015 to celebrate the group’s 10th anniversary. Eunhyuk participated in writing lyrics for song, ‘Alright’.
1. Car Accident:
On 19 April 2007, almost two months after Super Junior-T’s release of their first single ‘Rokuko‘, Eunhyuk was involved in a car accident, along with Shindong, Leeteuk, Kyuhyun, and two managers, when returning home following a recording of the radio show ‘Super Junior Kiss the Radio’. While they were on the highway, the front left tire burst as the driver was switching lanes and the van ran into the guard rail/median on the driver’s side and skidded for about 30 metres. At some point, the momentum caused the van to flip over on its right side. While Shindong and Eunhyuk suffered minor injuries, Leeteuk and Kyuhyun sustained more serious injuries, which required both to be hospitalized.
2. Military Service:
On 2 September 2015, SM Entertainment announced that Eunhyuk enlisted for active duty military service on 13 October 2015. He is going to be discharged on July 12, 2017.
Relationships – Rumors:
Eunhyuk has a lot of rumors revolving his relation with Kim Hyo-yeon, a singer from Girls’ Generation. However, nothing has been confirmed from them personally.
But nothing is confirmed.
Moreover, he said that his ex-girlfriend is well known celebrity.
He was also rumored to be dating IU.
Eunhyuk’s Quick Profile:
- English Name: Spencer Lee
- Position: Main Rapper, Vocalist and Main Dancer
- Zodiac Sign: Aries
- Chinese Zodiac Sign: Tiger
- Height: 176 cm
- Weight: 58 kg
- Blood Type: O
- Hobbies: Dancing (all genres), Exercising, Listening to Music and Download Funny Videos of himself
- Skills: Dancing, Singing and Acting
- School: ‘Phad Chai’ University (Major: Drama and Cinema Arts)
- Sub- Units: Super Junior-T, Super Junior-Happy, Super Junior-M and Super Junior D&E
- Personality: Nice, Gullible, Kind, Patient and Shy
- Nickname: ‘Myeol chi’ , ‘ Hyukkie‘ and ‘Jewel Guy’
- Motto: ‘Pray Together’
- Religion: Christianity
Eunhyuk’s Favorite Things:
- Food: Strawberries, Oranges and ‘Gyool’
- Super Junior’s Song: ‘Papillon‘
- Celebrity: Emma Watson
- Color: White, Blue and Beige
- Sport: Soccer
- Number: 7
- Country: Australia, Egypt and Japan
- Instrument: Piano
- Animal: Snail
- Pet: Choco – a dog that lives with his parents
- Drink: Strawberry Milk, Ambasa and Orange Juice
- Film Genre: Romance
- Girl’s Generation’s member: Sunny
Facts about Eunhyuk:
- Donghae and Eunhyuk used to share a room. They lived next to a shopping mall. Donghae complained about wanting to go shopping with Eunhyuk who was secretly sneaking out at night shopping by himself. Eunhyuk later said that going out with Donghae attracts too much attention
- Before debut, Eunhyuk and Junsu came up with a plan to make Donghae cry
- Out of all the Super Junior members, Eunhyuk eats the most
- Eunhyuk has an older sister, named “Lee Sora” but his sister always call him as “Oppa”
- He grew up in a family who struggled financially
- Eunhyuk won’t let his wife work: “I will earn enough money, but I will also help her with household chores. I even washed the dishes in the dorm. If the ahjumma doesn’t come over during the weekends, I wash the dishes. I am a family man.”
- Eunhyuk is said to be the dirtiest (as in unclean) and smelliest member in Super Junior
- Eunhyuk is said to be the dirtiest (as in unclean) and smelliest member in Super Junior
- He admires IU
- He helps in making the choreography
- Eunhyuk has a birth mark on his right palm
- When Eunhyuk and Junsu were younger, they joined a beauty competition where all of the contestants were males disguised as girls
- If Eunhyuk could be reborn, he’d want to become Wonbin, that’s why he even lied about his name during the trainee days
- Eunhyuk was often late for school
- Eunhyuk hates half cooked food
- Eunhyuk is best friends with Xiah Junsu of DongBangShinKi. They have been friends since they were kids
- When Eunhyuk was younger, his family was going through financial problems and his father had health issues. He had a girlfriend at the time, but had no money to spend on dates or gifts. He had been borrowing money from his friends but he didn’t want to do so anymore. He kept avoiding going on dates because he didn’t want to hurt her. The relationship ended like this. In the end, he says that he let her go because of love
- In Japan, while the group was buying ice cream, Eunhyuk appeared with a bunch of sweets. When the members told him that he couldn’t have them, Eunhyuk started to cry. The members apologized and let him eat his sweets. He ate them as if they were the most delicious things, while still crying
- On a radio show, while discussing who among the members has the nicest lips. Donghae was quick to say “Hyukjae’s when he wakes up”
- Eunhyuk is extremely protective over his laptop. He refuses to let anyone touch it. He was afraid that someone would find out his password so he changed it over 6 times
- “I like moving. I like clearing up my room, and I like rearranging the furniture. This kind of frame of mind is very good, I like adapting to a new environment.”
- Eunhyuk wants his sister (Sora) to marry Siwon
- In Korea, students have to take an IQ test, Eunhyuk didn’t take his in order to practice, because he usually left after his classes
- Eunhyuk auditioned at the same time as Xiah Junsu and was rejected. He auditioned again a year later and was accepted
- Eunhyuk said that to keep his image as an idol, he shaves his legs
- 36. When he was in middle school, Eunhyuk went on a trip with Xiah Junsu and friends. During the trip an argument and fight broke out. In the end, Eunhyuk went over to Junsu to talk things out and apologize because he didn’t like having hard feelings
- Eunhyuk is very gullible
- He cries a lot
- Eunhyuk likes to keep his secret to himself because he is afraid if people will be worried about him. Despite of this, Donghae is always worried and keep forcing Eunhyuk to tell his problems to him
- Eunhyuk sleeps alone in his room with dolls and a lot of pillows
- Eunhyuk’s former room-mates were Leeteuk and Donghae
- He says that dancing is part of his life
- Eunhyuk hates sharing food with people. He will cry if somebody eats his ramen because he thinks the amount of the ramen decreased and it felt weird. But we can see, he likes to share his strawberry milk with Donghae
- Back in 2008, Eunhyuk was cheated by a mysterious girl
- He first fell in love when he was 13 years-old
- Eunhyuk is a very kind boy. He won’t get mad if you harass him
- Eunhyuk has a very good temper. The very opposite of Heechul
- Eunhyuk liked to promote his sister by saying “Annyeong, this is Sora, and SHE’S SINGLE” when he was a little boy
- On March 13, 2008, while leaving the stage for ‘M! Countdown‘, Eunhyuk fell and injured his right arm. His left arm was hurt as well but it was affected by the injury. After this accident, Eunhyuk wore a cast for several weeks and a bandage. His scars from the fall are still visible.
- Eunhyuk claims that his first appearance on television was in 1992. He had gone to watch the sunrise with his dad and was caught on film. That clip later appeared on a TV show
- He is known to be the stingiest member of Super Junior
- During a radio show, the members voted Eunhyuk as the member who watches the most yadong (erotic videos). There was later an article that came out that said, “Eunhyuk is a Yadong Maniac”. After the article came out, his mom called him and asked him “Did I raise you to be this way?”
- He had his first kiss in a bus
- When he was in an English village, he couldn’t speak english so he gave some money to the policewoman
- He is very shy around girls. The members said that Eunhyuk is so shy, when he is alone with a girl, he won’t hold her hand
- Hyoyeon once texted Eunhyuk and he replied “Sorry, Eunhyuk has changed his number” and Hyoyeon got angry
- Eunhyuk was diagnosed with Swine Flu on February 25, 2010. ELFs were very worried and praying for his fast recovery
- He has the brightest smile in Super Junior
- Eunhyuk dislikes seafood
- Eunhyuk and Junsu made a promise when they were younger not to drink and smoke
- On Leeteuk’s birthday in 2008, Eunhyuk stayed up all night the day before in order to record a song that he and the PD had worked together to create. The song was played on Teuk’s birthday as a surprise. Leeteuk was so touched, he cried
- Whenever Eunhyuk mentions people of the same age, Leeteuk will tease him about his awkward relationship with BoA
- He drools while he is sleeping
- Eunhyuk wants to have two kids. At first, he wants a girl and then a boy. He said that the boy will be happy to have a noona
- ‘I cried the most on June 25, 2006. It was when that our title song ‘U’ got first for mutizen.’ -Eunhyuk
- He is not close with Hankyung
- Once, he slept for 17 hours
- Eunhyuk’s father got married at 28, and his mother at 27
- He really likes eating instant noodles. He said ” I am an Instant noodles food expert”
- Sungmin and Eunhyuk usually sleept in the same bed
- His high school girlfriend, told him to get his exam score over 85, or else she’d date another guy. Unfortunately, he got 84. Later, his girlfriend called him later to tell him that she had gone to the cinema with a guy. Eunhyuk got very angry
- Eunhyuk’s first impression of Yesung wasn’t good because he thought he had too much accessories on him
- He used to go to the shopping malls at Dongdaemun (in Seoul) at least once a month when he was younger
- Eunhyuk was jealous with Kyuhyun’s nickname “Magnae on Top” so he named himself “Treasure on Top”
- Even though no one can see his underwear, he still feels embarrassed just wearing it because it’s colored
- Once, he went out with his sister. When she went to the toilet, fans went to him and asked who he was with
- Eunhyuk: “To me, life without soccer would be like living a mindless and empty life.”
- Eunhyuk says when he talks and shares his stories on ‘Super Junior’s Kiss the Radio‘, he’s able to release his everyday stress
- He doesn’t want to have a joint wedding because he wants to be the one and only main person
- After he got abs, Eunhyuk lifts his shirt whenever he can
- Eunhyuk was given the Disney name ‘Peter Pan’ by Heechul because he thinks that Eunhyuk will always be a child
- In 2007, he said to his fans that he was in love with a younger artist. He did it because he promised to be honest with them
- In the middle of the night, Eunhyuk does exercise in the dorm’s living room
- Eunhyuk has said that he has a hard time expressing his feelings to others. He is thankful to the members for supporting him even though he can’t express everything that he would like to
Eunhyuk’s Ideal Type of Woman:
Appearance/Character: A girl who is pretty, cute and sweet. She has to be fair skinned and pretty eyes. He likes girls with curly hair.